Scholarships and Financial AidDownload Scholarship and Awards September (2012) newsletter
College/University Websites:www.electronicinfo.ca (universities)
Types of Scholarships:
Various institutions, community organizations, unions, etc., assist graduating high school students who continue to post secondary studies. While academic achievement is an important component, many look at other criteria such as community involvement, leadership skills, and financial need.
There are basically two types of scholarships. Entrance scholarships which are given automatically for academic excellence and program based scholarships which are often based on academic excellence but require an application. Each university/college throughout Canada will have different criteria for accessing scholarships. Many students, who achieve 80% or more, receive some financial award.
Student Loans/BursariesThe Ontario Students Assistance Program (OSAP) provides Ontario students with financial assistance. Visit www.osap.gov.on.ca for more information.
Other Ways of Finding Scholarships:
- search scholarship websites
- Google.ca-try you own search
- research companies that offer scholarships
- Attend the MPC scholarship information sessions
- Attend lunch time university information sessions
- Check the Scholarship bulletin Board outside the Guidance office for updated scholarship information and future scholarship info sessions
- Check the MPC website for an updated list of scholarships.